Earlier this week, the Concho Valley Council of Governments voted to approve the move of Edwards county from the Middle Rio Grande Development Council into the Concho Valley Council of Governments pending approval from Governor Rick Perry.
A move that hasn't been successfully attempted in over four decades.
Edwards county judge Souli Shanklin is leading the movement and he said it was time for a change.
"This changing from this C.O.G. to that C.O.G., changing from the Middle Rio Grand, has never been done. It's unprecedented, but it's 40 years old. Texas has changed in 40 years," Judge Shanklin said. "Yesterday is yesterday, it's the past. My concerns are for five years down the road, 10 years down the road, 20 years down the road."
But not everyone in Edwards county is on board with the move. Rocksprings City Councilman W. Andrew Barnebey said that because of issues including future state funding, the town is split.
"Our school district, our city, and maybe the second school district that's in there may also object but we're very much divided about making this change."
Although there is disagreement amongst city leaders about whether or not this move should be made, of the citizens we spoke to in Rocksprings,they were in support with this move.
Matt Rogers is a resident of Rocksprings and said past issues with the Middle Rio Grande Development Council makes him feel a move to the C.V.C.O.G. is necessary.
"What was happening with the Middle Rio Grande and not happening that should led us to think that we would be better served by the Concho Valley C.O.G. "
Delia Rendon has been living in Rocksprings for over 40 years and she is excited for the possible move.
"I think there will be a lot of new changes by joining Concho Valley. I'm looking forward to it and I hope we go through with it. "
Because this is uncharted territory and there are still many questions that need to be answered Jeffrey Sutton said it was best to send this matter to the state capitol.
"Supposedly everyone had knowledge of the facts involved and what we understood that the process was and so my board felt like the ball was in the court of the governor's office at this point and we'll proceed from there and see what happens."
No decision will offically be made official until the Governor rules on the matter. A decision is expected to be made in September.